Research now shows that men are starting to lose testosterone levels at an earlier age and more dramatic rate than ever before. This is due to a wide range of factors we will discuss today.
As I continue to move through my thirties I am constantly trying to keep up with the best techniques to maintain high testosterone levels and actually increase them. I know that around the age thirty most men start to lose testosterone and will eventually begin to feel the similar effect to “menopause” for women or we can call it “man-o-pause” for men. There is actually a medically defined term believe it or not–andropause.
Testosterone can help you have more energy, strength, cognitive function, a leaner and more muscular physique, and not to mention better and more frequent sex. Must I say more?
Some of the greatest contributors to decreasing testosterone levels are the following:
- Inflammation – creating insulin resistance and the depression of testosterone production. Mainly from diet.
- Insulin Resistance – which leads to fat gain and fat cells release estrogen (the anti-testosterone). From poor dietary habits and lack of sleep.
- Stress – causes a release of the hormone cortisol which can lead to increased insulin resistance and we now know why that is no good. From lack of sleep and lifestyle stress.
So let’s dig into how we can enhance testosterone naturally.
The best way to solve these issues is to adopt an anti-inflammatory diet high in healthy omega-3 fatty acids and lower in inflammatory omega-6’s.
This can be done through a diet consisting of grassfed meats, wild caught fish, pastured eggs, healthy fats, and the eliminations of vegetable oils, grain-fed meats, and highly processed foods.
If you are insulin resistant we strongly suggest cutting out grains for 30 days or longer.
You also need to make sure you are sleeping well. One of the major causes of decreased testosterone and weight gain in men is the lack of sleep.
Swallow your pride Gladiator, you are not a machine that runs on coffee and snack bars, you need to recharge and repair and your body does this during your precious sleeping hours.
In addition to a non-inflammatory, high omega-3 diet, you may want to consider supplementation.
Only take supplements after you have diet piece nailed down. And make sure you choose the high quality supplements you can get your hands on, otherwise save your cash.
A great beginning supplement protocol would be:
- A Multi-Strain Probiotic – to help absorb nutrients from your food giving you all the elements necessary for the body to create the right hormones (testosterone being the one we are focusing on here).
- Vitamin-D w/ vit K – because we are almost ALL deficient in vitamin D and it is one of the most critical supplements we can take for overall body function.
- Fish Oil/Krill Oil – get a shot of omega-3’s from either liquid or pill form. I prefer the krill oil because of the added benefits but it does have a higher price tag, choose for yourself.
- Coconut Oil – amazing for balancing metabolic function. Make sure it is raw, organic, and cold-processed like the one we use from Nutiva.
- Gassfed Organic Red Meat – red meat is one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. If you get it from a grassfed source you will increase your beneficial omega-3’s. Consuming grain fed meat can actually increase inflammation (because all the genetically modified corn, soy and wheat they’re eating is high in omega-6). US Wellness Meats is one of our favorite sources.
- Wild-Caught Salmon – get your hands on some high quality salmon that is loaded with all the muscle building goodies your brain and body craves. Vital Choice has everything you could ever want and the quality is second to none.
Movement also plays a critical role in stimulating testosterone secretion.
Focus on movements that require high intensity for a short amount of time.
Our favourites are sprinting, and focused weight training.
Be careful not to over train and for the average person we would not recommend high-intensity interval training, or HIIT, more than 2-3 times/ week.
During the other days just move your body in some fashion. Try to get some movement everyday, walking is one of the best solutions and is great for fat-burning as well. Eliminate all long distance cardio if you want to maximize testosterone.
This is a great start to increasing testosterone naturally but we have plenty more tips to share with you and each individual is always unique so a customized plan is always best.
Contact us with any questions or to get your testosterone increasing program.
Remember, you do not have to be satisfied with a low-testosterone lifestyle as you age.
Wake up and take control of your life with a few simple changes to your diet, supplements, and lifestyle.